ESP32 doesn't stay online

Hi,

Yes, it was flashed with 0.93. However, I flashed again this week one ESP32 board with OMG BLE and placed it very close to the wifi router and now it’s going on for the 4th day without any problem (previously it was located a little far from wifi).

I have a total of 8 ESP8266 flashed with OMG (usually kept updated with latest version, but only this month I flashed them with 0.93) with either DHT22+LDR or IR blaster&receiver (for AC control) or relay (for heather control). After centralizing the data from the boards for last 5 months (I’ve set sensors in HA to monitor the LWT topics and RSSI for the boards), have found some correlations:

• Wifi channel: although channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping, on channel 11 it seems to drop connections more frequently than on 1 an 6 (the environment is quite crowded and usually there are 3 additional routers on each of the channels 6 and 11 and 5 on channel 1); still, this might be something specific to the environment as I cannot find a logical explanation;
  • RF absorption: with signal strength below -70 dbm problems start to arise; boards placed at less than 2 m of the wireless router only disconnected once per 1-2 months (and not always from their fault as there have been also some power failures in this period; HA is on UPS and haven’t analyzed when the power goes off to correlate with the ESPs issues);
  • chain reacting: once one of the ESPs starts having problems and disconnects from Wifi, nearly all of the others are affected within one day; restarting that board seems to remove the issue; I’m not sure what causes this, but I think the router has a large part of the blame.

Thanks for all these previous informations Petrica.

We have several tracks to follow here:

• the wifi channel used as you’ve pointed
  • the wifi version used (discussed here)
  • an ESP32 low layer issue regarding DHCP

I’m currently doing some tests on that.

1 Like

For info a fallback mechanism to protocol B and BG is now available here for testing purposes:
https://github.com/1technophile/OpenMQTTGateway/tree/force_wifi_b_esp32

The first results are encouraging:

The modifications are now integrated into the development branch.