868MHz Froggit HP1000SE = Fine Offset HP2550 - no reception

Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I have tried to read through all relevant threads I found regarding this topic.
I’m looking to receive the messages of the combined rain gauge/temp/humidity/anemometer for above Weather station. This was sold in Germany, so transmits on 868MHz (is this 868.0MHz? Or 868.3MHz? I do not know for sure…). I also got a soil moisture sensor (WH51), which is placed on the table besides the TTGO LORA32 v2.1_1.6 board (868/915Mhz version) I am trying to use.

I have been using the builds rtl_433 (standard/OOK) and rtl_433-fsk, trying 868.0/868.3/868.7/867.8 Mhz, but without any luck.
MQTT is working fine, and with the OOK version I received a sensor of a neighbor, so the board/ hardware seems to work in some way.

Is there anything you guys could point me too? I am all out of ideas now.
Thanks very much, best regards

Joost

Specifically it is this board:

https://www.lilygo.cc/products/lora3?variant=42272562282677

According to this post by an acclaimed hero, at least the WH51 should be supported by the FSK build, as far as I can understand:

https://community.openmqttgateway.com/t/lilygo-ttgo-lora32-v2-1-1-6-915-mhz/2492/15?u=hifij

Though there a 915MHz variant is used, while I am trying to catch it on 868MHz.

The WH51 works @ 915 Mhz as that was the device I had access to complete the tuning needed for FSK reception.

Looking at the description your board should work, you just need to set the desired frequency in the WebUI.

Thanks for your reply and confirmation!

Do you have any info if this would be 868.0 MHz, or perhaps 868.3 MHz, or another different frequency around 868MHz?

This is the sensor sold in Germany : https://www.amazon.de/Ecowitt-Kabelloser-Bodenfeuchtigkeitssensor-Pflanzenwasser-Monitor-Mail-Alarm/dp/B09B3SP2BL?th=1

And this the station in general (showing the multi-sensor in use):
https://www.amazon.de/Wetterstation-intelligente-Wetterstationen-Bildschirmkonsole-Au%C3%9Fentemperatur-Feuchtigkeitssensor/dp/B07XR745RH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.MYHikwLZnWqrbzmfB-1Cd8683HwaosXT5UjVs9DMnkbE1l2hOKVQRzgDzJnb7WcieT5nrZarKZKlbCXA64ABK8kiLxgPnxl8A6n0iDmmX5yCp-DBeNvSGMgjTavd5hkYyVIueCgqfIflcRgvo_a-IpXP91-BFZQeNgkbDIteGRI7TAjoLMr4cKqMpzdo5_HKd_SlCtwrNpUg2hcGRarkhR86FkJjNpGJXk535wDI1UuT1QlINmYhdrVbkNJd1-mWZ5Ih0pMCTdU63AJ-HxEJ8qjeFyDVs3XclT1QMEXgkCA.IGL7oMqrTQODKl8Z_1HNwEp2Ia1BwGR6CjOc3eiro4c&dib_tag=se&keywords=ecowitt+wetterstation&qid=1711027386&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

So I’ll go again with rtl_433-FSK firmware from the Online/Webinstaller, and set the freq. to 868 MHz in the WebUI Settings (if you do not have any info otherwise regarding the exact frequency which might be used).
Thanks

If you look at the rtl_433 forums, do they mention the actual frequency ?

I have a rtl_sdr in my collection of devices that I use to look at signals directly, and with it you could find the exact frequency.

PS - I should have mentioned this but with FSK modulation it may or may not work for your device due to the FSK modulation settings. Also in some cases range could be an issue. And it could require internal FSK setting tuning which I won’t be able to do without access to the sensor.

Thanks for the pointers!

I found this post, which reports success on 868.0 MHz:

Seeing your additional remarks, I fear my trials might come to an end then, as I seem to have the right receiver board, correct firmware and correct frequency but do not get any reception/messages.

Hi @HiFiJ

Not sure if you have given up completely already, but I am having success with my Froggit weather station, which looks exactly the same as yours, but requires setting the frequency to 868.35 MHz

'-DOOK_MODULATION=false' ; FSK modulation activated
'-DRF_FREQUENCY=868.35'

then the MQTT messages coming in with

{
  "model": "Fineoffset-WH65B",
  "id": 52,
  "battery_ok": 1,
  "temperature_C": 18.1,
  "humidity": 48,
  "wind_dir_deg": 281,
  "wind_avg_m_s": 0,
  "wind_max_m_s": 0,
  "rain_mm": 0,
  "uv": 1,
  "uvi": 0,
  "light_lux": 0,
  "mic": "CRC",
  "protocol": "Fine Offset Electronics, WH25, WH32B, WH24, WH65B, HP1000, Misol WS2320 Temperature/Humidity/Pressure Sensor",
  "rssi": -35,
  "duration": 11000
}

Hope this helps with yours as well.

1 Like

This is a little off topic however I found a reference to the WH65B mentioned in this thread, I have an issue with my Home Assistant MQTT Broker that won’t list the UV Index Rating (Fineoffset-WH65B-17-uvi) sensor only the UV sensor (Fineoffset-WH65B-17-uv).

I’ve noticed in the payload there are 2 different UV index references, one being the UV and the other UVI, the UV reference does list in HA but the UVI is missing, in the payload the name for both is “UV” (“name”: “uv”,),is this correct or should the UVI name be different eg. UVI (“name”: “uvi”,)? Many Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: I also notice that with the Fineoffset-WH65B-17-uvi entry it has a hyphen after the name entry (“name”: “Fineoffset-WH65B-17-”,) and a forward slash at the end of the stat_t entry ( “stat_t”: “+/+/RTL_433toMQTT/Fineoffset-WH65B/17/”,) ?

{
“stat_t”: “+/+/RTL_433toMQTT/Fineoffset-WH65B/17/”,
“unit_of_meas”: “UV index”,
“name”: “uv”,
“uniq_id”: “Fineoffset-WH65B-17-uvi”,
“val_tpl”: “{{ value_json.uv | is_defined }}”,
“state_class”: “measurement”,
“device”: {
“ids”: [
“Fineoffset-WH65B-17-”
],
“cns”: [
[
“mac”,
“Fineoffset-WH65B-17-”
]
],
“mdl”: “Fineoffset-WH65B”,
“name”: “Fineoffset-WH65B-17-”,
“via_device”: “OMG_lilygo_rtl_433_ESP”
}
}

{
“stat_t”: “+/+/RTL_433toMQTT/Fineoffset-WH65B/17”,
“unit_of_meas”: “UV index”,
“name”: “uv”,
“uniq_id”: “Fineoffset-WH65B-17-uv”,
“val_tpl”: “{{ value_json.uv | is_defined }}”,
“state_class”: “measurement”,
“device”: {
“ids”: [
“Fineoffset-WH65B-17”
],
“cns”: [
[
“mac”,
“Fineoffset-WH65B-17”
]
],
“mdl”: “Fineoffset-WH65B”,
“name”: “Fineoffset-WH65B-17”,
“via_device”: “OMG_lilygo_rtl_433_ESP”
}
}

Hi @DigiH,

thank you so much!!!
Indeed I had given up, but immediately got the board back out of the drawer once I had seen your message, set the freq. to 868.35MHz as you wrote, and received the first message after two seconds! It has been going on stable now, I receive messages every 16 seconds when the receiver is placed well :slightly_smiling_face:

So once again, thank you very much! Without your help I would not have gotten this working, in fact I had already stopped trying.

This is a prime example why forums are great when there are friendly people like you around trying to help out also on older topics!

Best regards,

Joost

1 Like

The big thanks really goes to @_LifeIsBetterOnTheBe when he mentioned 868.35 MHz with his Fineoffset WS80. Like you, I tried many frequencies before, just not 868.35, and resorted to a RPi with rtl_433 in the meantime, but great to only require the LilyGo now :slight_smile:

1 Like

@philbio

Can you open a brand new topic with this message, so that the rtl_433 discovery issues can be looked at separately?

AFAIk HA discovery only supports unit_of_measurement UV index (uvi) with the UV level (uv) likely having to be registered as a generic integer. It’ll all need closer inspection though :wink: hence best to have in a separate thread.

Thanks