Arduino without ethernet shield

I want to use OpenMqttGateway for my home assistant project. After some reading I saw that it is also possible to use an Arduino (which I already have in my possession, a Nano). However it seems to require an ethernet module (W5100).

Because I have my Arduino plugged in with my Raspberry Pi (3b), I was wondering if I could also use this USB connection as a ‘gateway’ to transfer the input to the MQTT gateway. Is this possible? If so, is there any guidance on how to achieve this?

Currently MQTT is the only protocol supported to connect the gateway to the rest of the world.

I never heard about someone implemented it with serial.

Moreover if you want to use several gateways (RF, IR, BLE…) I advise you to buy an arduino Mega.

Thank you for the fast answer:)
It just so happens that my Atmega2560 was just delivered, so I’m going to see if I can use that.

I asked this question because this software seems to support a lot off devices ootb, and I’m not sure if there is any other software that supports so many different devices.

I also already ordered a W5100, so I guess I’ll just have to wait a bit:)

To give you a point of view, an arduino mega + a w5100 is my best choice for an OMG implementation (compared to wifi).
The ethernet communication will enable to have faster responsiveness and the best reliability in terms of transmissions between OMG and the MQTT broker.

Hi,
Sorry for using this old thread, but I think it’s appropriate as I had the exact same setup and same question. So I understand I need to add a network interface to my Arduino setup.
My Raspberry is connected to my home network via WiFi and is located far from any Ethernet access. My Arduino is located just next to my Raspberry. Can I use a Ethernet board (W5100) to connect the Arduino and the Raspberry together directly? If not, I understand I will have to go for a WiFi board (ESP32)…
Thanks.

Hi,

Yes you can, an ethernet shield is the most reliable way for connecting your microcontroller to the mqtt server.

1 Like

Hi,
I finally had to go for a WiFi board, considering the position of each material in my home. I chose this one:

Unfortunately, the pinout is completely different from what is depicted on OMG website for ESP32/8266. Is there a way to adapt OMG to this board anyway? I had hard time finding a board with a complying pinout :confused:
Thanks

Hi,

The answer is yes. What are the gateways you would like to use ?

IR+RF. I already have those, should I just plug them in respecting the same pin numbers as in your website for other ESP32?

Edit: OK, that’s what I did and it seems to be working. Thanks!

1 Like