ESP32 and SRX882 - RF problem - no signals received

Hello,

I’m trying to get the SRX882 to work with my ESP32. I’m compiling the software myself using PlatformIO.
I tried two different models of SRX882 without any success. No signals received. To my surprise, once I connected a generic MX-RM-5V I had lying around, I started receiving RF signals on ZgatewayRF…

I couldn’t find any configuration examples with SRX882. I know there are some specific settings for CC1101, so perhaps I’m missing something. Is anyone using ESP32 with SRX882?

The board I’m using is OLIMEX ESP32-POE-ISO and the SRX882 V1.3 (ZTA31900). I have 5V and GND connected and checked with a multimeter. The DATA pin is connected to GPIO 13, at least for testing purposes. The CS pin on STX882 is not connected, which according to the documentation should mean the module is active.

This is my current “test” configuration:

[env:esp32-olimex-gtw-ble-poe-iso]
platform = ${com.esp32_platform}
board = esp32-poe-iso
board_build.partitions = min_spiffs.csv
lib_deps =
  ${com-esp.lib_deps}
  ${libraries.wifimanager32}
  ${libraries.irremoteesp}
  ${libraries.rc-switch}
  ${libraries.rtl_433_ESP}
  ${libraries.esppilight}
  ${libraries.newremoteswitch}
  ${libraries.decoder}
build_flags =
  ${com-esp.build_flags}
  '-DZgatewayRF="RF"'
  '-DZgatewayRF2="RF2"'
  '-DZgatewayPilight="Pilight"'
  '-DESP32_ETHERNET=true'
  '-DRF_RECEIVER_GPIO=13'
  '-DGateway_Name="OpenMQTTGateway"'
  '-DZsensorGPIOInput="GPIOInput"'
  '-DZsensorGPIOKeyCode="GPIOKeyCode"'
  '-DDEFAULT_LOW_POWER_MODE=0'

I would be grateful for any support.

Best regards,
Dragonix

Hi @Dragonix ,

While I’m not exactly sure where you problem lies, how did you build up your ‘test’ configuration?

You have ${libraries.decoder}, but no ‘${libraries.ble}’ and ‘-DZgatewayBT=“BT”’ to make Decoder work properly with Bluetooth, if you actually want BLE on this gateway as well.

Also which RF library are you interested in for your devices, as you seem to have them all thrown in currently, possibly taken from the …multi_receiver environment in platformio.ini, which would then require for you to define which RF library you want to be active, as only one can be active at one time, as described in

Also ${libraries.rtl_433_ESP} requiring a CC1101, not being able to work with your SRX882.

Not really knowing the OLIMEX ESP32-POE-ISO myself, does it have IR, or have you also connected IR receiver and transmitter - re the '${libraries.irremoteesp}`?

I’m also not sure about the two ZsensorGPIO build flags here.

Those are just a few things I’m seeing at first glance.

I’m sure if you reduce the configuration environment to only the few necessary lib_deps and build_flags, especially with only using a single RF library, at least for initial testing for the devices you have, the receiving will work fine. At a later stage, if you require additional RF protocols you can extend it to a multi RF gateway, but with the knowledge of having to switch between the different modules as described above.

Hope this help.

Hello!

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it. You are absolutely right about messy configuration. This is the effect of my inexperience. I cleaned it up.

What I actually need is IR, RF and Ethernet.

board = esp32-poe-iso
lib_deps =
  ${com-esp.lib_deps}
  ${libraries.irremoteesp}
  ${libraries.rc-switch}
build_flags =
  ${com-esp.build_flags}
  '-DZgatewayIR="IR"'
  '-DZgatewayRF="RF"'
  '-DESP32_ETHERNET=true'
  '-DIR_RECEIVER_GPIO=13'
  '-DIR_EMITTER_GPIO=14'
  '-DIR_EMITTER_INVERTED=true'
  '-DRF_RECEIVER_GPIO=15'
  '-DRF_EMITTER_GPIO=16'

Sadly, the cleanup had no effect on the SRX882.

That said, everything else is working flawlessly. IR receiver and emitter are working as intended, although range of the IR emitter could be better.

RF emitter (STX882) is working great. I was able to read RF codes using MX-RM-5V. It’s not ideal, but served the purpose for now.

That said, the problem still remains. There is no communication with SRX882.

EDIT: OLIMEX ESP32-POE-ISO does not have IR. I connected external modules. There is another model from OLIMEX which does have built-in IR. It’s called ESP32-EVB. Sadly, EVB model does not have PoE, although it has Ethernet.

Look better overall, and great that everything else is working :slight_smile:

You should also be able to omit

as the default is already 0 - normal mode, when no definition is used at all.

With the SRX882 not receiving however - hmm…

You don’t have anything else connected to the UEXT connector of the board, right?

Have you tried with '-DRF_RECEIVER_GPIO=5'?

Hello,

Could you share a picture of your setup ?

Please find attached the pictures below. I use a small breadboard for VCC (5V) and GND distribution. The ESP32 itself is powered via PoE. The green wires are just direct connection to GPIO 13, 14, 15 and 16.

Overview:

VCC and GND (small breadboard):

SRX882:

STX882:

Thank you. I will remove the '-DDEFAULT_LOW_POWER_MODE=0'.

The UEXT connector is not used. Nothing connected to it.

I will try GPIO 5 in the evening and report back.

Apologies for late reply. I was feeling a bit under the weather.

I tested GPIO 5, but no change. No signal received whatsoever.

board = esp32-poe-iso
lib_deps =
  ${com-esp.lib_deps}
  ${libraries.irremoteesp}
  ${libraries.rc-switch}
build_flags =
  ${com-esp.build_flags}
  '-DZgatewayIR="IR"'
  '-DZgatewayRF="RF"'
  '-DESP32_ETHERNET=true'
  '-DIR_RECEIVER_GPIO=13'
  '-DIR_EMITTER_GPIO=14'
  '-DIR_EMITTER_INVERTED=true'
  '-DRF_RECEIVER_GPIO=5'
  '-DRF_EMITTER_GPIO=16'

Perhaps I got two defective SRX882? It seems unlikely, but technically it is possible.

As you say, technically definitely possible, but also very unlikely with both.

Just for clarification - which RF signals are you trying and expecting to see being picked up by the SRX882s with your setup?

Each RF signal you send out with your gateway through the STX882, the SRX882, being very close by, should repeatably pick up.

So sending a simple
{"value":55555}
for example, with
mosquitto_pub -t "home/OpenMQTTGateway/commands/MQTTto433" -m '{"value":55555}'

should immediately register
{"value":55555}
on the receiving
home/OpenMQTTGateway/433toMQTT
topic side.

Also easily published and monitored through an app like MQTT-Explorer

Do you possibly have any other ESP32 or ESP8266 boards you could try testing the SRX882s with?

I intended to read the codes of a generic 433MHz remote control.

firefox_HHwFfEYBvL

The expected behavior is to receive a message with the code on “home/OpenMQTTGateway/433toMQTT” once I press a button on the remote. With SRX882 there is no reaction. Nothing. Once I replace SRX882 with MX-RM-5V, without changing anything else, same wiring, same config, I receive a message at “home/OpenMQTTGateway/433toMQTT”. The remote needs to be in close proximity to the MX-RM-5V, but it works as expected.

I read the messages using Home Assistant. Not the best tool for the job, but it works. Thank you for recommending MQTT-Explorer. I will give it a try.

I do have other ESP32 boards. To be honest at this point I’m just tired of testing. I will return to it at some point. Let’s park it for now.

I do appreciate all the support I received. Thank you once again.

If I may jump into this quite old topic:
I checked the IC datasheet, like for example here:SRX882
and it requires to connect CS to high to activate the receiver. For me that helped me out of the same problem.

2 Likes

@BC238 - Hey - Are you using ESP32 and SRX882? Which firmware do you use from the webinstaller?