Help getting started needed please

I am using a doit esp32 devkit v1.1 board and have downloaded the esp32dev-ble… binary files.

I flashed the dev board using the espressif tool BUT HAD TO USE 40mhz and a lower baud rate than 115200 in order to get success in both erasing and writting.

The setup gui is VERY unrersponsive often not serving even the initial selection page within its 3 minute up window if i finally do get all 3 config pages served and received to insert a Pw for wifi and change the mqtt host addy when if restarts if fails with a wifi event 15 looses the pw and starts all over again…

I have come close to launching my mouse at the wall once or twice now…

Did i make a stoopid booboo and dl the wrong binaries??

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:928
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:10080
load:0x40080400,len:5856
entry 0x400806a8
N:
************* WELCOME TO OpenMQTTGateway **************
*WM: [3] allocating params bytes: 20
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: server
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: port
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: user
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: pass
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: name
*WM: [3] Updated _max_params: 10
*WM: [3] re-allocating params bytes: 40
*WM: [2] Added Parameter: topic
N: Attempting Wifi connection with saved AP: 0
N: Attempting Wifi connection with saved AP: 1
N: Attempting Wifi connection with saved AP: 2
N: Attempting Wifi connection with saved AP: 3
N: Attempting Wifi connection with saved AP: 4
N: Connect your phone to WIFI AP: OpenMQTTGateway_ESP32_BLE with PWD: your_password
*WM: [1] AutoConnect
*WM: [2] ESP32 event handler enabled
*WM: [2] Connecting as wifi client…
*WM: [1] STA static IP:
*WM: [2] setSTAConfig static ip not set
*WM: [3] WIFI station disconnect
*WM: [1] Connecting to saved AP: NETGEAR34
*WM: [3] Using Password:
*WM: [3] WiFi station enable
*WM: [2] 5000 ms connectTimeout set
*WM: [2] 5000 ms timeout, waiting for connect…
*WM: [2] .
*WM: [2] [EVENT] WIFI_REASON: 15
*WM: [2] Connection result: WL_DISCONNECTED
*WM: [3] lastconxresulttmp: WL_DISCONNECTED
*WM: [3] lastconxresult: WL_DISCONNECTED
*WM: [1] AutoConnect: FAILED
*WM: [2] AccessPoint set password is VALID
*WM: [1] your_password
*WM: [3] WIFI station disconnect
*WM: [3] WiFi station enable
*WM: [2] Disabling STA
*WM: [2] Enabling AP
*WM: [1] StartAP with SSID: OpenMQTTGateway_ESP32_BLE
*WM: [1] AP IP address: 192.168.4.1
*WM: [3] setupConfigPortal
*WM: [1] Starting Web Portal
*WM: [3] dns server started with ip: 192.168.4.1
*WM: [2] HTTP server started
*WM: [2] WiFi Scan ASYNC started
*WM: [2] Config Portal Running, blocking, waiting for clients…
*WM: [2] WiFi Scan ASYNC completed in 2311 ms
*WM: [2] WiFi Scan ASYNC found: 10

So to avoid the built in wifimanager setup gui i can edit the user_config.h file and add the following entries near the top? and recompile and flash the esp??

#define wifi_ssid “MYSSID”
#define wifi_password “MYWIFIPW”
#define mqtt_user “”
#define mqtt_pass “”
#define mqtt_server 10.0.0.214
#define mqtt_port 1883

#define ESPWifiManualSetup

Is the esp32devble build correct for the doit dev board?

many thanks for ANY input…

Ok… Got somewhere… after faffing about and finally inserting the mqtt addy and wifi creds into the ini and config.h files, the 0.9.5 build still fell over on attempting to connect to wifi and would again start up its access point aargghh!!

So I downloaded the last stable build 0.9.4 source code… compile errors due to missing resources… so i also downloaded the library zip and put the extracted directories into pio/build/lib and still had missing file errors, so i downloaded the 0.9.4 binaries and flashed them… The gui all be it slower than your usual web site DID respond and save credentials and settings and the esp32 rebooted and joined the network! FIRST TIME!!! Two EVENINGS/ and an all night-r later!!!

While vastly underqualified to say so I think there are issues with DO-IT dev boards and V0.9.5… something is amiss…

Did you tried to erase the flash, sometimes strong behavior occurs with non clean flash.

Also I would try with another router/AP (at least a smartphone generated AP) to identify router config incompatibilities.

Glad you made it :slight_smile:

Hi and Thanks,

However, On replying to my other post in here i logged onto my node red system to pull a sample mqtt publication from the debug windo to find no activity and my esp32 module apparantly dead :frowning: so i spent 2 hours flashing and configuring another ( 2 minutes flashing 2 hours struggling to get the gui to accept credentials. again…
i uninstalled my anti virus scanning s/w closed down the firewall disconnected my lan sat the esp module feet away from the wifi antenna and still i had a hard time accessing the access points gui… and when i did get to the config page it would struggle to send the full data I learnt too late that mashing the save button will save the creds MINUS the wifi pw. so its a case of hit the button once and pray the host receives its payload… sorry just need to vent am in awe of the project as a whole…

board #2 now configured and polling and publishing a dream :wink:

board #1… well i cant even flash it via Rx/Tx gpio and my separate usb_ftdi device.
Both the espressif tool and the arduino ide fall down with in the case of the arduino ide an MD5 check fail ?

I had board #1 powered via the same psu that supplies a mstack esp32 device doing a similar job but only polling the public adverts of the EQ3 radiator valve im also testing and playing with and thats not been upset at all and is functioning as expected

Currently ive bypassed the onboard usb/ftdi chip of the esp and have a usb.

Both board#1 and #2 are the same model doit v1 dev kit ;( fingers crossed #2 lives a little longer i have some new modules on order,

Again Fantastic project- trust me to get duff dev boards :wink:

edit just gonna desolder the onboard ftdi in case its ‘death’ and resulting condition is the problem… oh joy…

Further Update, a new esp32 arrived in the post Latest version flashed on 1st time, but still i had problems with the web server? so this was a bit odd so i pulled out an old net book and squinted at the tiny screen as it connected and launched the hosted config page options automatically straight away… a minute later al is up and running…

Very odd as i use this computer to access many esp32/826x devices some even running some of my own code… so I didnt even consider there to be a problem with that aspect of the coms…

ALL GOOD IN THE END!!

1 Like