Interest in limited support for rtl_433 device / protocol support on ESP32

Hi @NorthernMan54 - I was very excited when seeing your implementation of the rtl_433 package for openMQTTGateway 0.9.6. I am still a bit confused though by the possible range of frequencies supported by rtl_433 and the available varieties of CC1101 modules.

May I ask at which frequency you tested your CC1101 with, and if it was a module advertised for a single frequency or possible multiple frequencies?

Initially I thought I might get a CC1101 which supports all frequencies, as I found the possibility to set/change the frequency in the source, but looking at a module like
Solu CC1101 Transceiver-Modul 315/433/868/915MHz the first, 2 star, review sounds very logical and makes me think a dedicated 868Mhz CC1101 might be the better choice, like CC1101 868MHZ Transceiver Modul

Being in Europe, I am mainly interested in the 433Mhz (for which I already have an OMG gateway, using an SRX882 receiver and STX882 transmitter) and with rtl_433 now also to create a 868Mhz gateway,

In your Enabled Device Decoders list there are several 868Mhz devices listed, with the ā€˜Fine Offset Electronics WH1080/WH3080 Weather Stationā€™ being my main interest at the moment.

As I havenā€™t read anything about 868Mhz devices or tests with the rtl_433 implementation yet, Iā€™d like to ask you about your experience or expectations of such.

Many thanks for your work on this and any possible pointers you might have about the 868Mhz possibilities.

In my setup I have been using this with 303Mhz, 315Mhz and 433Mhz devices and not 868Mhz. For 303Mhz and 315Mhz I have been using the ZgatewayRF module to transmit and receive.

I had seen the different versions available and had ordered the 433mhz version each time. I suspect that the other frequency versions may have the circuity outside the chip optimized for a particular frequency ie antenna.

Personally I find that the CC1101 receiver is not as sensitive as a RXB6 I have, it works well but range is a bit limited when I compare the two. It could be tuning of the CC1101, ( Signal file for Fineoffset WH0530 device by AusGunno Ā· Pull Request #4 Ā· NorthernMan54/rtl_433_ESP Ā· GitHub ), but I havenā€™t explored that in detail.

Iā€™ll be ordering some dedicated 868Mhz CC1101s for some testing. Once I have the CC1101s I can start testing with my Homematic sensors and actuators, although they might not give very intelligible readings with their AES encryption.

But itā€™s a start before shelling out for the more expensive weather station :wink:

Will send updates here once I got the 868Mhz CC1101s.

1 Like

Sorry for my ignorance, but Iā€™m unfamiliar with rtl_433. Can it simply decode additional 433mhz protocols?
Does it extend the basic 433mhz gateway, I.e. I can get an esp32 gateway with a CC1101 and get all the messages I currently get with the sonoff RF plus additional devices?

From my understanding rtl_433 supports several frequencies and protocols. From the rtl_433 github page:

So yes, there are additional devices recognised in the 433mhz band, but also the other frequency bands, which require appropriate transceivers.

So far there seems to be little experience with the 868Mhz band with @NorthernMan54ā€™s rtl_433 implementation in OMG, and Iā€™m waiting for my 868Mhz CC1101s for some testing.

That is my understanding, with the additional devices being listed by @NorthernMan54 here

Enabled Device Decoders

1 Like

Thanks. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll mix additional transceivers for more frequencies other than 433mhz, as it is pretty much the most common one around. As long as Iā€™m just adding more functionality and not reducing it, Iā€™m in.
Iā€™d keep the sonoff active simultaneously with the esp32, but that setup tends to get me duplicate messages

Could you not turn the sonoff off for sending actual MQTT messages, but set repeatRFwMQTT to true? Then you should not get duplicate MQTT messages, but the sonoff will repeat any RF signal sent out by the new eps32/cc1101 rtl_433 gateway for extra extended coverage as well.

1 Like

I like the idea. I think Iā€™ll give it a shot after I get the new transceiver as more range is always good. I just hope I donā€™t overwhelm OMGā€™s message queue with all the duplicate messages it will get. We use 433mhz for quite a lot of things.