Lilygo finds wrong devices

Hello community,

I’m a total beginner when it comes to Home Assistant and I’m trying to integrate my 433 MHZ actuators.

I still have a lot of 433 MHZ actuators from various manufacturers in the house. Some as adapter plugs and some as normal actuators. These are from Brennestuhl and Intertechno. There are also various remote controls with which they are switched. I don’t want to throw them away and integrate them into Homeassistant. The devices all work without any problems and I don’t want to do without the existing remote controls. I bought the Lilygo 433 MHZ module and flashed it.

It was flashed with the lilygo-rtl_433 image.

That also worked. Then set up the WLAN and the connection to the MQTT broker. That also worked. :grinning:

So far so good.
I can also see the module in the MQTT Explorer without any problems.

Now comes my problem. When I press a switch on the remote controls, the Explorer does not display what I would expect.
The following entries are made by pressing on the remote control.
I see devices like “smoke” or other different devices.

Hi @Born-67

You having installed OpenMQTTGateway with the rtl_433 module, you need to be aware that rtl_433 is a pure receiving decoding library, so you won’t be able to send any commands to control any actuators with it. This is not just the limitation of rtl_433_ESP with OpenMQTTGateway, but also the original rtl_433 library on any device.

Also the decoding of your current RF gear will be mis-recognised as various different rtl_433 devices, which you have already seen and shown with your screenshot above.

You will need to plug (DuPont cables :slight_smile: ) together your own RF OpenMQTTGateway prefferably with an SRX882 receiver and STX882 transmitter combo. While I don’t have your Brennestuhl or Intertechno plugs, I do control mine through the RC-Switch library and also receive the signals form their remotes with it - so RC-Switch could be a good place to start with yours as well.

Just out of curiosity, are yours with dip switches or auto-learning?

All the OpenMQTTGateway RF intricacies are explained at

Hope this helps

Hello DigiH,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
That helps me a lot. That way I don’t have to look for an error where there is none.
:slight_smile: I have some Plugs with dip switches and some auto learning.

Thanks a lot
guido

1 Like

Hi @Born-67

Glad I could help in understanding the differences between the various RF capabilities of OpenMQTTGateway.

For the suggested RF (RC-Switch) gateway you don’t even require an ESP32, but any ESP8266 dev-kit will be fine to hook up an SRX882 receiver and STX882 transmitter.

All my plugs have dip switches, as this is the preferred way for me to define their codes, but hopefully your auto-learing ones will be recognised just as well.

Let us know how you get on.