My RF light switches are not detected by OMG gateway

Hi guys,

Newbie here… I’ve running OMG 0.95 and can’t seem to see any RF signals being passed via MQTT Explorer when operating my RF light switches that are paired to RF fobs. As a test i’ve also checked to see whether i can discover my RF window sensors (GS-WDS07) Which show up just fine, can anyone help me troubleshoot? The switches are reasonably high end units (For RF! no neutral, dimmable, etc.) And pair nicely with the broadlink RM4 Pro) Is there any updates or alternative libraries that i may need?

If you need any logs or info let me know! Not sure what to post up to help…

Hi, I’m also quite new so not sure if I’ll be able to help, but I think it could be useful to know your gateway hardware.

@christian-0s - Hi there! Thanks for the reply!

Sure. I’m running an ESP32.Running v0.92

Ok, also what RF receiver module are you using?

@christian-0s - Sorry for the delay, the units are STX882/SRX882 modules.

Any ideas?

Hi,

what model are you light switches? Which frequency are your STX882/SRX882 modules?

Could it be a 433 vs. 315 MHz incompatibility?

The Broadlink RM4 Pro seems to have both frequencies in later models (in the US market), whereas the STX882/SRX882 modules get sold as either 433 OR 315 MHz only versions.

Which country are you located in?

@DigiH -

what model are you light switches?

ilumous RF 433mhz, no-neutral, dimmable UK Spec

Which frequency are your STX882/SRX882 modules?

433mhz, as they find my GS-WDS07 door sensors fine!

The Broadlink RM4 Pro seems to have both frequencies in later models (in the US market), whereas the STX882/SRX882 modules get sold as either 433 OR 315 MHz only versions.

Yup. I’ve got the dual band 315/433mhz version, made sure at the time of purchase. Just to confirm, my switch RF fobs work fine with the RM4 Pro. but don’t with my OMG Gateway as it can’t see the RF signals sent from the fobs to control the switches.

Which country are you located in?

The UK.

The fact that my OMG Gateway sees my RF door sensors (GS-WDS07) which are 433mhz makes me think it should be able to see the switches too as they are also 433mhz.

Could it be something to do with the RF libraries on my gateway?

So it’s not an issue of 433 vs. 315 MHz incompatibility. Good.

I’m sure you’ve also already tried the RF2 option, though doing a search for the ILumos switches does indicate that they might be problematic, e.g.

Maybe someone else has further ideas if and how to use them with OMG.

As long as you’re aware that it is highly illegal in Europe to privately use the 315 MHz band for transmissions, as it is purely restricted to military communications use :wink:

I’m sure you’ve also already tried the RF2 option

No, i havn’t as i didn’t assemble this device myself. Is there anyway of checking or querying the device to see what RF library it is using? Can i tell via watching the mqtt explorer payloads?

Though doing a search for the ILumos switches does indicate that they might be problematic

Yup saw this a year or so ago, to me it simply looks like someone wasn’t happy with the broadlinks functionality at controlling the switches with RF so took it apon themselves to sharpen up the RF implementation themselves. But it dosn’t disprove that these should work with 433mhz.

Any ideas?

As long as you’re aware that it is highly illegal in Europe to privately use the 315 MHz band for transmissions, as it is purely restricted to military communications use

I’m not using the 315mhz band and i’m not near any airports :slight_smile: The decision was purely around if there’s a choice of 2… I want that the dual band one!. :slight_smile:

I’m still up for any ideas to try as the broadlink works fine with the switches so i believe this is a configuration thing on my OMG gateway. Is it possible to run all RF libraries simultaneously on an OMG gateway or can you only run one at a time?

Lastly, Is there an easy Over-the-air updater to install the newest version of OMG gateway using the built in wifi/ap of the OMG gateway? I was hoping to not have to set up the project in full on my pc to update it as it is now installed…Anyone?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Only one at a time unfortunately.

Yes you can do OTA with Arduino IDE or PlatformIO

If you don’t find any library/code already available for your switches your last option is to decode the protocol, this tutorial is a good start.

Is it on the roadmap to have multiple RF libraries active on a single OMG gateway? Or is this simply an impossibility due to how they interact with the RF sensor? What library would you say covers the most devices?

Lovey. Thanks, Is it possible to do OTA on an ESP32 on v0.92 or would i need to reflash it to get the functionality at all?

AFAIK you should be able to do it over your current 0.9.2, with platformio as described in the Docs here

https://docs.openmqttgateway.com/upload/pio.html#ota

I have a kind of R&D project regarding 433mhz in progress, I hope to give news by the end of the year.

Ooh. Im intrigued! Could you spill the beans in regards to whether it’s down the line of my question about running multiple rf libraries on a single OMG device? :slight_smile:

I’m looking for a way to have only one library to invest time on and make it the central RF gateway (and get rid of the others).