OMG on ESP8266 + CC1101 868MHz -- Newbie needs help

I hope so. Right now I do not have the faintest idea whether the CC1101 is functional.

How about setting the frequency to 433MHZ, just to see if some usually more ubiquitous (RF and RF2) 433MHz device are in your vicinity. Of which you might even have some yourself.

While from my experience the range of a 868 CC1101 set to 433MHZ CC1101, and vice versa, isn’t nearly as good as a proper 433MHZ CC11101 it should still work to pick up something.

That would be just guesswork…
I have an 868.30 remote control next to the CC1101 so I think it should pick up something.

It really bugs me that apparently there is no way that OMG can check a device.

Just to clarify, you are talking about seeing nothing when monitoring with a serial connection, not just in the MQTT messages, right?

The only thing I have is the MQTT messages.
How can I monitor serial (the NodeMCU is connected via USB to the PC)?

There won’t be any MQTT messages with any raw data for undecoded devices, thankfully I find, as otherwise the MQTT broker would/could be flooded with such unwanted messages :wink:

The only way I have experience with is with plaformio which I personally use for all OMG custom builds and serial monitoring with a ESP32 or ESP8266 connected to my PC.

What did you use for your build?

Apparently others also know of other ways using prebuilt binaries and nodemcu flasher, as stated here

Yes, I also use platformio. So I can do “pio device monitor” and I get messages that correspond to the MQTT messages. I cannot type anything, it doesn’t respond to Ctrl+T.

Do I need to add debug flags to the build?

Do you also use Visual Studio Code with platformio? And in the environment section under the patformio tab

and chose Monitor or Upload and Monitor you don’t see any output in the bottom TERMINAL window? Starting with something like

************* WELCOME TO OpenMQTTGateway **************
N: OpenMQTTGateway Version: 0.9.13
N: WiFi ok with manual config credentials

I would assume for just monitoring and seeing if something might be received, even if not decoded you should be fine with the default settings, but for finer detail try :wink:

'-DCORE_DEBUG_LEVEL=4'

Not sure about any RF specific debug setting at the moment.

Also which upload_port have you got defined? Possibly also a separate monitor_port with same port required for your setup?

No … to the right of the PLATFORMIO QUICK ACCESS where you can chose to have both

PROJECT TASKS and QUICK ACCESS displayed?

There we are :slight_smile:

Have you tried specifying a monitor_port underneath board_build.flash_mode = dout?

Would that help? The port changes depending on the USB devices being plugged in/out.

In the terminal window I get messages, so it is definitely connected to the devidce:

If you want we can take this to Telegram?

EDIT: Ran out of allowed replies. Must wait 17 hours. Stupid.

That looks all fine to me for the monitoring all set up correctly now.

Since there are only the sys messages displayed the only additional idea I have is to test with other RECEIVER_GPIOs. Or see if anyone else with more RF debugging experience has additional information.

Or possibly also double check the 868MHz CC1101 soldering/wire connections. Personally I find them a right pain to hook up cleanly with their extra tight spacing :wink:

1 Like

Yes, checked over and over again. I’m starting to wonder whether the CC1101 is defective. For example, it draws about 1.5mA of current, while the specs say that approx. 16mA is common.

For the sake of completeness, I’ve only connected CC1101 pins Vcc, GND, GD02 and GD00. Should the other pins (MOSI, SCLK, MIDO, CSN) be connected and if so, to what GPIO pins?

And I really thought we had ticked that off when I sent you the link to the wiring charts right in the first reply :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So did I, but in RF gateway (433mhz/315mhz) | OpenMQTTGateway v0.9.13 there’s only GD02 and GD00 that are connected.

I assume that all the other pins (MOSI, SCLK, MIDO, CSN) have fixed GPIO pins to connect to.

On your linked page, did you read through the CC1101 Pinout section, which apparently links to the same wiring schematics which I posted above, with some extra notes about the OMG connection differences, or did you just look at the SRX882/STX882 examples?

Either way, when following the guidelines and having the proper connections, does your CC1101 now work as expected?

More confusion…

GPIO13 = D7, and according to the LSatan witing D7 should be connected to MOSI?

I have now followed the exact wiring of the LSatan page for the ESP8266 (i.e. adapted for NodeMCU V3) and recompiled the firmware with

'-DRF_RECEIVER_GPIO=4'
  '-DRF_EMITTER_GPIO=5'

Now something seems to work, since occasionally (once every 10 minutes or so) a message is detected. When I press the remote control there is no response whatsoever.