WebUI Proof on Concept for ESP32 modules

Everyone,

Wanted to share something we have been experimenting with in the last few weeks, a WebUI for OpenMQTTGateway.

The thought was to offer the ability to retrieve current status/configuration, the ability to do basic configuration and have a command line to do simple commands. And also offer visibility into the serial console via web.

This is the POC running in my development setup ( if you notice that the UI looks familiar, it is because I used Tasmota as the base ).

Currently working is the main page, and the information page.

Before we take this PoC further, we were looking for feedback from the community if they felt that it was a good feature to have? So would appreciate any commentary on the feature.

6 Likes

Yes, would love that!

3 Likes

I find that makes for a very nice addition. It also makes it easier to understand and use for new users. Nice job!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great plan.
Would be ideal for modules like the multi-receiver if you could simply select the mode via a user interface etc.

1 Like

Excellent work NorthernMan54, this is a great feature!

2 Likes

Indeed this is an answer to a key item on my wishlist for OMG. Also the ability to access the config file with ftp (as works fine in LoraAPRS) would be nice even if slightly less user-friendly. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

+1
I use OMG and Tasmota extensively and miss the Tasmota feel/flexibility when using OMG. So using it as a basis to develop the UI sounds great. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Yes, this is IMO essential to it being a good usable project.

Here are a couple more teasers from the WebUI PoC, it is coming together very well, and the first release of the WebUI is likely to be bundled with the next OMG release package.

This is the Home Page ( Tks to @DigiH for the Styling )

At the present time, the Information, Console and Restart options are wired and working. And the little display panel is a copy of what would appear on an OLED display.

The Information Page ( Contents are the status messages from a couple of modules )

The Console Page

The box on the lower part of the screen allows you to directly enter commands into your device, format is Topic and JSON Command ie

commands/MQTTtoBT/config {"interval":0}

5 Likes

This is great! I use Tasmota a lot and this would be a wonderful addition to OMG!
Thanks!

Very cool :sunglasses:, can’t wait to try it!

This is really a very useful addition. I just recognized that I have it already in my latest “development” build. Thank you.

The latest development has an initial release, with the feature about 50% complete.

This is what was included

Framework release of the WebUI, with initial feature set

• Initial set of menus and options

• Home Page
    ** Display of sensor messages, same as OLED display
    ** Restart restarts device

• Configuration Menu
    ** Configure WiFi is not wired yet
    ** Configure MQTT is not wired yet
    ** Reset Configuration erases the flash memory

• Information Menu
    ** Display status messages from modules included in the build, currently connected are SYStoMQTT, BT, WebUI and SSD1306

• Firmware Upgrade is not wired yet

• Console
    ** OMG log message display aka Web Serial Console
    ** ability to inject messages to the mqtt message processor.
    ** ie commands/MQTTtoSYS/config {"cmd":"status"}

2 Likes

The next release of the WebUI package has been promoted to the development environment, and this includes the ability to manage your Wifi and MQTT settings via the WebUI.

From the earlier list

• Initial set of menus and options
  • Home Page
    ** Display of sensor messages, same as OLED display
    ** Restart restarts device
  • Configuration Menu
    ** Configure WiFi is working
    ** Configure MQTT is working
    ** Configure Logging changes the logging level temporarily until the next restart
    ** Reset Configuration erases the flash memory
  • Information Menu
    ** Display status messages from modules included in the build, currently connected are SYStoMQTT, BT, WebUI and SSD1306
  • Firmware Upgrade is worked, but not fully working yet. Doing a firmware upgrade triggers a out of stack restart.
  • Console
    ** OMG log message display aka Web Serial Console ( messages from libraries and other sources are not visible. )
    ** ability to inject messages to the mqtt message processor.
    ** ie commands/MQTTtoSYS/config {"cmd":"status"}

With PR#1613 the firmware upgrade option is now working, and this is ready for release.

1 Like

The final pull request has been submitted, and we are now feature complete. The last pull request added basic authentication to the WebUI, to prevent unwanted access to your device.

For basic authentication, the login is admin and for the password I leveraged your existing ota_password.

Just wanted to thank you for the webUI.
This was high on my wishlist. Great work!

Would be nice to update the documentation regarding :

" For basic authentication, the login is admin and for the password I leveraged your existing ota_password."

as I was not expecting username/password request by default and couldn’t find the details at first glance.

Thx again!

This was mentioned before and has been added a while back

Thanks, was looking at the wrong section…