Digoo DG-R8H Temperature Sensor

Hello guys, I’m trying to get the Digoo DG-R8H sensor to work with OpenMQTT Gateway.
Right now I’ve flashed a ESP8266 with PiLight only, but can’t get any response from it, or like a troubleshooting guide to check the pilight funcionality.

There is any command I can send to check if Pilight is correctly installed and running on my board? On Arduino serial it displays that connected to my wifi with succes, but nothing more.

Thanks

Hello,

Unfortunately dg r8h is not yet supported, I’ve just received one and will try to integrate it into pilight.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
I was searching more info about this sensor on Google, and found a GitHub project from a guy who decoded the info from these Digoo sensors:

I’ll could try to help to integrate someway the code on the MQTTGateway solution, but I’m not skilled on software development, but I can help doing some tests with it.

Let me know if I can help somehow.

Thanks for the help, it will help for the integration into Pilight (and by the way OMG)

I have gotten the Digo DG-R8H working on OMG.
I have made a plug-in (that still needs patching up) based on:

Here is what I cobbled together for my Domoticz setup:

/*
OpenMQTTGateway - ESP8266 or Arduino program for home automation

Act as a wifi or ethernet gateway between your 433mhz/infrared IR signal and a MQTT broker
Send and receiving command by MQTT

This gateway enables to:

• receive MQTT data from a topic and send RF 433Mhz signal corresponding to the received MQTT data

• publish MQTT data to a different topic related to received 433Mhz signal

Copyright: (c)Florian ROBERT

This file is part of OpenMQTTGateway.

OpenMQTTGateway is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

OpenMQTTGateway is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

this module uses the homeGW library for processing Digoo DG-R8H sensors
    GitHub - dgomes/homeGW: RF433Mhz decoding library

*/
#ifdef ZgatewayRF3

#include <homeGW.h>
#include <digoo.h>

HomeGW gw(1); //the number of plugins to be registered
digoo station;
String msg =“”;
String old_msg =“”;

uint64_t prev_p = 0;
uint64_t p = 0;

#define RF_RECEIVER_PIN D5

void setupRF3(){
// pull-down RF pin (less noise)
Serial.println(“Ready to go”);
pinMode(RF_RECEIVER_PIN, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(RF_RECEIVER_PIN, LOW);
pinMode(RF_RECEIVER_PIN, INPUT);
digitalWrite(RF_RECEIVER_PIN, LOW);
gw.setup(RF_RECEIVER_PIN);
gw.registerPlugin(&station);
}

void RF3toMQTT(){
String idx =“”;
if(station.available()) {
if((p = station.getPacket())) {
if(p != prev_p) {
if (station.getId(p) == 8) { // modify the IDs to match your Gigoo
idx = “122”;
}

if (idx !="") {
    //{"idx":13,"nvalue":0,"svalue":"26.0;35.0;2"}
      msg = "{\"idx\":";
      msg += idx;
      msg += ",\"nvalue\":0,\"svalue\":\"";
      msg += station.getTemperature(p);
      msg += ";";
      msg += station.getHumidity(p);
      msg += ";2\"}";
       Serial.print("Digoo: ");
       Serial.println(msg);
       pub("domoticz/in",msg);  // shortcut to report to domotoicz. 
    }
   prev_p = p;
  }     
}
}

}
#endif

1 Like

Any update on this?

I just received mine if you have started working on this could you share it? otherwise I’m gonna start integrating it based on this: https://github.com/aquaticus/nexus433

Hello,

No I didn’t started to integrate it. The closer work that has been done recently, is the add of several weather stations support :

Thanks!

During the weekend I successfully tested the nexus433 project so now I’m sure all the needed hardwares are working as they should. Moreover I started getting familiar with the weather station project.

What I learned recently that nor the rxweatherstation or the pilight support the nexus protocol and at this point I think it’s going to be easier to add it to the rxweatherstation.

1 Like

Hi,
I also had some DG-R8H sensors around hoping that one day they will be supported by OpenMQTT Gateway (I’ve been using OMG for almost 2 years). In the meantime, I discovered the nexus433 project too which finally made the connection between Hassio and Digoo sensors. Of course, I needed to put another Rapsberry Pi into my home LAN for this but at least it works. I am still waiting paciently for OMG to support the Nexus433 protocol too, one gateway for all the protocols is a more elegant solution.
@1technophile, keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, indeed we need an open source centralized solution to adress all the 433 protocols that we have. There is too much dispersions on this subject.

Hi,
Is it likely that integration with the DG-R8H is going to be working anytime soon?
Of all the RF Gateway solutions I have looked at, OMG looks like the best project and it has most of the sensors that I want to use. I’m using a Sonoff RF Bridge and will likely end up with another Sonoff RF Bridge so that i can have one running RF and the other PiLight.
Thanks for all the effort you have put into this project so far, you have some excellent resources to help people that are new to MQTT and Home Automation.

Got this sensor as well and looking for solution to integrate it to HA. Now have Sonoff RF with ESPHome, but interested in some more simple solution than parse raw data in ESPHome. It’d be really great if this sensor is integrated into OMG.

It’s on my todo to see how we can integrate better weather stations like this one.

I was hopeing to see raw data from this sensor via my SRFB and then write any app that listens on MQTT and updates my HA with processed values () but unfortunetely I don’t see any data once I put batteries in :frowning: I that because of OMG or could that be any hardware problem like SRFB second chip (not ESP8285)?

It is due to the fact that the internal uC RF decoding of the RF Bridge EFM8BB1 is not programmed to read the DG-R8H signals.
If you want to have it read you should do an hardware modification to bypass EFM8BB1 .

@1technophile thanks for help, I restored all my hardware hacks that I did for ESPHome flashing (yes, exactly ESPurna’s guide) and… nothing. Unfortunately :frowning: I tried 3 modes (PiLight, RF and RF2) and see no code at all (in ESPHome I saw some raw codes but that was even really hard to at least identify start and end of the sequence, I don’t talk about decoding, that’s why I decided to switch to OMG). I don’t know what’s the reason, may be PiLight is still not ready - I found this post: Digoo / Baldr / Nexus / Rubicson temperature/humidity sensor, not clear if they submitted their changes and released them or not.

PS: but thanks to flashing RF mode I was able to control QiaChip relays (Qiachip relay/switch), at least have some progress :wink:
Looks like RFLink supports this module, so probably I’ll build DIY RFLink for myself instead of SRFB, and will install SRFB at my parents, I plan to setup outdoor wireless light control, but have to say that ESPHome supports RCSwitch library as well, so for me there’s no reason to have OMG on SRFB. Thanks for help!

Rflink can be a solution for the R8H maybe with less hardware tinkering.

You may also buy an R8S that is certified compatible or go to BLE with more sensors available and noreceiver needed on ESP32.

I wouldn’t recommend that at least because all my R8S change their IDs when batteries are replaced so one needs to change HA config. It’s pita. The only workaround is to power them from an AC/DC adaptor, which is not always possible (especially in the BaMba case).
And battery life of R8S is significantly shorter as well.

An alternative would be a DIY EST-based multi sensor but I haven’t looked into it as my use cases do not require anything like that.

1 Like

@1technophile thanks for the idea, but I want to track weather condition outdoors, that’s why I focused on R8H.

Good point, for info the Mi Flora enables to track temperature and moisture and can be put outside.