ESP WROOM 32 with compiled bin files

Hi,

I am trying to flash an ESP WROOM 32 board with the compiled binaries without any success using the ESP Download Tool and the example settings from the v0.9.4beta instructions.

I have tried 3 different boards and two of the latest versions, erasing the flash between each attempt. The boards load and run other applications ok.

On flashing and resetting a board I get the following repeated error on the serial output…

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
flash read err, 1000
ets_main.c 371
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
flash read err, 1000
ets_main.c 371

Has anyone managed to load the compiled binaries on to a WROOM using the suggested files and addresses shown in the latest instructions?

Thanks

Hi,

Could you indicate the binary you are flashing?

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the BLE binaries from versions 0.0.3 and 0.9.4.

The only file that wasn’t downloaded from the site was the bootloader bin which I got from the Expressif site (bootloader_dio_40m.bin)

And could you give me the name of the binary?
esp32-m5stick-ble-firmware.bin
For example

The above should read version 0.9.3

esp32dev-ble-firmware.bin
esp32dev-ble-partitions.bin
bootloader_dio_40m.bin
boot_app0.bin

Here are the settingsimage

The detected info from the target device is…

flash vendor:
C8h : GD
flash devID:
4016h
QUAD;32Mbit
crystal:
40 Mhz

Seems correct, do you have the possibility to flash it with Arduino IDE or Platformio?

I will try it tomorrow

1 Like

Using the same settings and the ESP Flash Tool I was able to flash a Heltec LoRa ESP32 but any attempt to flash a WROOM 32 still fails.

I was able to flash both the Heltec and the WROOM using PlatformIO.

1 Like

Have you been able to resolve this ?

I am getting the same thing with WROOM 32

Have you been able to resolve this ?

Are you getting the same issue?

I wasn’t able to resolve this. Even with the latest version of the ESP Flash tool the application fails on a WROOM module yet it works ok on other ESP boards.

Let me try it, I will report back

Just did it, no problem in my side with an ESP32 DEVKIT board which has a WROOM32:

Note that I press the BOOT button when the download tool shows SYNC and I did an erase before the upload.

Where are you stuck?

@31warren seems that you are using the wrong bootloader, use the one from the link of the docs

It should be bootloader_dio_80m.bin and not bootloader_dio_40m.bin

Yes I was getting the same issue.

I have tried again today after a fresh erase and it is now working

Thank you

Thanks. I will try again with the different bootloader. Would you please confirm the memory addresses that you used for the 4 files.

The same that are in the docs.

Thanks again.

All now working ok.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

could you help me with wroom32 connection? How did you connected the board. I use the embeded usb to supply power and ftdi232 connected to TX & RX & GND but cannot flush it. There’s no progress when i press START and nothing is recognized in the software.

You need to press the reset or flash button of the board after “start”