DIGOO DG-R8S 433MHZ battery operated temperature and humidity sensor with embedded display

Yes you can, regarding hardware the easier is to buy a barebone ESP32, links there:

You don’t need an HM10 if you buy an ESP32.
The HM10 is just used to add the bluetooth function to an ESP8266 or an arduino.

So I can just feed power/ground (or micro usb) to this unit and install OMG?

This one being even cheaper, can you confirm if it’s equivalent to the above/recommended unit?

No I canno’t confirm that another model is equivalent without testing it.

Thank you, much appreciated.
will go with the suggested model,

I have three, all of them do work as expected so

I’d try to get my money back in your situation :wink:

Generally, I don’t like R8S - the huge issue with them is change of id when you replace batteries. So one needs a) power them up form a way plug (and take into account it’s 2.4V!) or b) change id values on the receiving side every time the batteries are replaced. PITA

For, example, R8H don’t do that and their batteries last for longer.
Or the money you spend on R8S can buy you almost everything you need to build a ESP based multi sensor.

Thanks for the reply,
however from reading the threads, seems R8H is not supported under Pilight or Portisch ? or is it?

I did further testing and it seems the sensors are working but highly inaccurate;
under cool temperatures they behave almost correctly, but when the temperature is higher, humidity drops under 10%… which is not the case as tested on various other sensors.
I have ordered a replacement sensor, will see how it behaves.

Essentially I am looking for cheap wireless temp/humidity sensors;
I have also ordered the Xiaomi bluetooth model with a ESP-32 to connect via OMG. will see if it’s more accurate/reliable.

Thx

My R8H work only with RFLink, no OMG support so far :
Regarding inaccuracy - mine work fine (have 7 atm)

I thought you could only have 3 R8H’s, since you can only select 3 channels. My 3 work fine with rflink, but if you can use more, I’ll order some more.

I use 7 sensors set with the same channel. Perhaps it has some meaning when you use them with a Digoo weather station but in my tests it had no impact on the results. So believe you can use as many R8Hs as you like with RFLink.

Thanks. I ordered some more.

Just a quick note to confirm what @AhmadK had already highlighted:
the R8S will change ID every time it is restarted which makes it a PITA for automation purposes.
Battery state doesn’t work, batteries don’t last long and humidity values are spotty…

Just installed OMG over ESP32/BLE and using Xiaomi sensors. So far so good. Seems like a better solution.

Also ordered a R8H as a potential outdoor solution but hoping it will be supported over OMG/Pilight eventually as I already have enough bridges (OMG/Pilight, Tasmota/Portisch, OMG/ESP32…) don’t want to deploy a 4th one…

Cheers,

Yes, I couldn’t get Low battery message, it’s always OK.
Battery life is definitely shorter than of R8H (and the range is definitely not better at least in my case).
I have 5 of R8S and temp/humidity values are ok, didn’t notice any significant issues so maybe you have a dodgy one.

So Still using the R8S despite having to adjust code on battery changes? I have a number of events related to temp/hum so it would really be a PITA to recode everything for 4 devices every time I change batteries. Tested successfully the Xiaomi sensor w/ESP32-BLE. Larger display, good range, hopefully longer battery life, looks much better on a wall and no issues so far. 3 more units on the way.

well, it’s mainly used to control central heating, which is currently off so I don’t really care about their batteries atm :wink:

in theory yes, power them up from a wall charger OR use another store bought sensor/build my own.

Here the objective was to have a wireless device so adding a wired supply defeats the purpose… :wink:

Not sure which automation solution you are using but for wired sensors I am using Sonoff basic + Tasmota + Cat5 and sensors (Temp/humidity/pressure/light levels, etc, etc.)

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Supported-Peripherals/

You can daisychain a bunch of Ds18b20 on a single run of cable and get temperatures for every room in the house + outdoors, pool, hot tub, lake, etc.

Efficient, reliable and cheap (about 15$ for the Sonoff basic and all sensors)

Can someone give a hint what to do on my below explained issue?
I have a RF bridge with Pilight which works fine with: a R8H, a smoke detector, a water leakage sensor, a switch and a door sensor but doesn’t detect a R8S.
I changed the batteries, I pressed the test button, I changed the channel but nothing happen.
Also, this isn’t decoded by RFLink but I received something when I push test button. As far I understood isn’t well supported by RFLink.
Thanks!

Do you have the last version of Pilight or the developement branch of OMG ?

I’m using development branch of OMG.

With PIO or arduino ide ?